Sunday, March 16, 2014

Quiet Time

This past week  we had a  whirlwind 24 hours in which we found ourselves at  Kinkos in Birmingham at midnight, in the car headed to Atlanta at 2:30 AM and on  a street corner in downtown Atlanta  before the sun was up. All unexpected, all with Henry  in tow.  We discovered the night before a  trip our passports were expired.   So, while this was not a horrific scenario, it felt that way at the time.

Why am I writing about  this  for a Sunday post while on the plane? Because in the midst of all this craziness I found myself  carrying Henry in the dark, downtown, hobbling to meet Patrick when a man stopped me. In Atlanta  they have people downtown to help you, answer questions, guide visitors, etc.  A great addition to their tourism industry.  Anyways, I started telling this man about  the wild adventure we were on and he looked at me and said, "I am going to pray for you."

And he did just that. He literally prayed out loud "over" us right there in the middle of the street.  Trust me, I know how Cookoo this sounds to a lot of you reading. But it was so nice and refreshing. While I know people pray for us all the time it is rare that it is carried out in such a manner.

I am thankful for that man. I am thankful for his prayers, they worked. I am so very thankful to live in a place where something as simple but powerful as this interaction can occur.  I am thankful Henry was there to witness it, even if at this age he won't remember. I am thankful for people who can be so open about Jesus, when I struggle to share my faith (even though I have these posts it is hard for me). I am thankful for all the kind people in this world, especially when sometimes society can seem harsh. I pray you all have a blessed week and I hope you get to encounter small acts of kindness that stick to you.

PS- should you ever need a same-day passport it is possible.....

4 comments:

MaryBeth said...

I am glad this worked out for you. I have been reading that some countries won't let you enter with a passport that is going to expired in 3-6 months. I never knew that and I think it is crazy.
I have also never heard of being able to get a passport in a day, prayers are strong!42444956 5025

A Perfect Gray said...

two amazing things - a spontaneous prayer and same-day passports. I know they BOTH were a blessing!

Katharine @ SouthernBourbonMountains said...

I love this post. The power of prayer works!

Miriam said...

I pray for that kind of bold witness!